Monday, June 9, 2014

Out Of My Comfort Zone - Part 2

One year ago right now I was in Jamaica.  It was my second solo trip there in 5 months.  To say that I was stepping out of my comfort zone would be a gross understatement.  I was travelling there by myself to meet a friend with whom I would be staying with for the next 10 days.  No big, fancy all-inclusive resorts this trip.  No large buffets, or waiters bringing me frozen drinks as I sit by the pool.  I would be staying in a small community on a steep hill that overlooks the Caribbean...in a wooden house with two rooms - a living room/kitchen and a bedroom.  The bathroom?  In a separate building a short walk from the house...no running water in either building.  I'd be eating a mainly vegan diet, as that is what my host ate.  I had no idea what the next 10 days would have in store for me, but I knew it wouldn't be margaritas and hot showers...and I couldn't have been more excited.
 House where I stayed.
Living room/kitchen.

This is the "bathroom", with the Caribbean visible behind.
Jamaicans speak Patois - and there are many different accents and slang words and dialects within that one language.  My first night here was spent sitting on the front steps of the uncle's house, listening to a group of Jamaican men all sing, tell stories, jokes and yell greetings at anyone who was walking on the road....all in Patois.  I maybe caught every fifth or sixth word.  When it is written, I can understand Patois, but hearing it spoken, with different accents, different speeds, is very confusing.  It is a fun language to listen to though...very musical and rhythmic.  Between that, and the nature sounds that are abundant in Jamaica, I had no shortage of entertainment.  I was welcomed with open arms by everyone and I was even more excited for my stay.
Over the next 10 days, I almost stepped on a giant bullfrog while walking back to the house one night, did my own laundry by hand in a wash bucket outside, picked mangoes off the tree and peeled them with my teeth, went to a traditional grave digging, collected coconuts from towering palms, hosted a Jamaican cook out, took many showers with collected rainwater, and generally lived a life that was far removed from my own.  I ate amazing food, danced on the beach, met more people than I can remember, and was forever changed.
To have to haul two buckets filled with water collected from the rain barrel down to the "bathroom", do a quick lizard and creature check, somehow wash and condition my hair and soap my body, all followed up by a very chilly bucket dump, is something that makes a person appreciate being able to walk into a lizard-free room, turn on the hot water, and scrub and buff to one's heart's content.  Don't even get me started on the whole leg-shaving scenario...
To walk up a hill and not know what you will find, only to be told that it is a traditional Jamaican grave digging, is a culture shock that is hard for me to describe.  It's a true celebration of the deceased's life...friends, family and neighbors cooking so much food, dj's playing loud music, Rastas dancing, men reasoning with one another....Then the actual grave - only men taking part in this part.  There is one in the hole, laying cinder blocks and mortar, and about 30 up top all yelling their directions to the brick layer.  It's chaos, and organization all in one.  There are women passing out amazing food in take-out boxes to everyone....fish or chicken with salad and veg.  I was the only white person for miles and although they were surprised at a new woman in their midst, not one person batted an eye and I was welcomed like a long lost friend by all I met, with many hand shakes and hugs.
I did make it to the beach, it would be a sin to be in Jamaica and not make it to at least one beach while you are there.  We stayed in a little hotel right on the beach...ate amazing jerk chicken from the vendors on the road, drank rum on the beach and danced until I thought my legs would fall off.
This whole experience not only changed how I see my own life at home, but it also impacted how I work as a travel agent.  I now encourage my clients to venture off the resort when they get a chance...if you are taking the time and the money to visit a country, why not take the time to actually get to know that country and the people in it?  Jamaica is a perfect "starter country" for this....everyone speaks English (as well as Patois), the water on the island is naturally filtered and very safe to drink, and the food is amazing and there is something that will appeal to everyone.  Of course, the concept of common sense applies here as it does all over the world, but all in all, it is a very safe and friendly place.
My Jamaican experience has taught me and inspired me to want to get in amongst the local life no matter where I go now in this world.  I hope that it has inspired you to want to do the same.


Grave construction finished and looking down towards the food and music from the grave site.
Collected coconuts and opening them with the ever-present machete.





A day in Lucea and a trip for the guys to the barber shop.
Fresh produce - most of which I had never seen before - at the Lucea market.

No comments:

Post a Comment